In 1838, at a time when formal education for women was rare, several people of extraordinary faith and vision had the goal of establishing a school in Marion, Alabama to provide young women with an education of the same quality men received at Harvard or Yale. The founders named the school The Judson Female Institute after Ann Hasseltine Judson, the first American woman to serve as a foreign missionary.
Points of pride
Judson College remains church related, embracing Christian principles and values as an appropriate foundation for all her students. Christ centered and student centered, Judson continues to fulfill her mission of helping young women develop their God-given abilities and talents, equipping them to make intelligent choices, and reflecting the teachings of Christ in every facet of life.