Founded in 1901 as the Girls Industrial College, the institution evolved over the years in size and scope to become Texas Woman's University in 1957. The school’s dual mission bears a strong similarity to what it was when the institution was founded: to provide a liberal education and to prepare young women "for the practical industries of the age" with a specialized education. TWU continues today as a public university that offers a comprehensive catalog of academic studies, including baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. The university has grown from a small college to a major university. TWU is the largest university primarily for women in the United States, with the main campus in Denton and health science centers in Dallas and Houston.
Points of pride
Texas Woman’s University builds on its long tradition as a public institution primarily for women by educating a diverse community of students to lead personally and professionally fulfilling lives. TWU prepares women and men for leadership and service through high quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs on campus and at a distance. A TWU education ignites potential, purpose and a pioneering spirit.