An act of the 27th Texas Legislature in 1901 founded the Girls Industrial College as a public institution that would become Texas Woman's University in 1957. The school had then and has now a dual mission: to provide a liberal education and to prepare young women "for the practical industries of the age" with a specialized education. TWU continues today as a public university that offers a comprehensive catalog of academic studies, including baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. The university has grown from a small college to a major university. TWU is the largest university primarily for women in the United States, with the main campus in Denton and health science centers in Dallas and Houston.
Points of pride
Texas Woman’s University builds on its long tradition as a public institution primarily for women by educating a diverse community of students to lead personally and professionally fulfilling lives. TWU prepares women and men for leadership and service through high quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs on campus and at a distance. A TWU education ignites potential, purpose and a pioneering spirit.