The West was wild, and for the most part, the frontier unsettled when Col. Richard Gentry called together Columbia’s 14 leading male citizens on Aug. 24, 1833, to discuss the education of their daughters at the Columbia Female Academy. Years later, James L. Stephens endowed the College with $20,000, and the institution was renamed the Stephens Female College.
Points of pride
Stephens takes pride in its commitment to the performing arts, pre-professional programs and the liberal arts. Its academic programs include the School of Performing Arts and the School of Design and Fashion.